Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Silversun Pick-me-Up with a Tegan and Sara Twist

"I've been waiting for this moment all my life, but it's not quite right" - Silversun Pickups

This week we're having a double helping of the song of the week. This week needs it. Have you ever had those weeks when your brain is in a funk? When you keep forgetting things you want to ask your friends because you just feel blah? That's been my week so far. I needed to clear my brain, so this morning I took my sure fire pick-me-up; indie rock.

I don't know what it is about indie rock that has me singing along at the top of my lungs. I don't know why singing at the top of my lungs boosts my mood. It may be because I grew up in the angst days of Alanis Morrisset, but deep down I know there are other angry rockers out there besides me. And indie isn't angry. It's too pretty to be angry. Seriously though, raging it out until your head gets clear is not a bad way to release stress. The Silversun Pickups are the perfect band to take you on a ride to clarity. They have a weird sound. They are just off enough to make them interesting, but not so interesting that you have to concentrate to enjoy them. Their level of off is the perfect music description of a good funk. Go to our MySpace page and listen to their song "Lazy Eye" and you'll see why this band is indie rock at it's finest. Words can't describe. It is easy bliss.

And I don't know why more people don't like Tegan and Sara, or for that matter have even heard of Tegan and Sara. I fell in love with them when they wrote "I Was Walking With the Ghost". In fact, that has been at the top of my shuffle for a few years now. This new song, "The Con," (which you can hear on our MySpace page), has me flipping for them all over again. I would tell you to get on the band wagon, but first we need to make a band wagon. Help me create a cultural phenomenon.

Get over funks the indie way, with a Tegan and Sara twist.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of Tegan and Sara like 4 years ago or so and loved the few songs I've heard but for some reason never sought them out to hear more. So thanks for letting me know about their new release! You're awesome Tina!