Saturday, February 14, 2009

Judging Coraline

Being the time of love and romance (Happy V-day, by the way) I know it's socially appropriate to be saying we like what's within, and that image isn't everything. That is good advice for people, but I have to admit, I totally judge a book by it's cover. But I mean actual books and actual covers. It's my firm philosophy that if a publishing company doesn't want to invest money for an interesting cover, then they probably don't have much faith for the content within.

My love of the superficial is what attracted me to Neil Gaiman's Coraline. I discovered this book at an outlet bookstore about five years ago, and I'll be honest, if it wasn't for the creepy image of girl holding a candle I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance. What sold me on it, (quite literally, in fact, this book is in my personal collection) was the craziest review printed on the back cover from one of my all-time favorite authors, Terry Pratchet. He said, "this book will send a shiver down your spine, out through your shoes, and into a taxi to the airport". There was no way I could pass up a book with that review!

A little love goes a long way, and I'm really glad to see the movie industry showing some love to Neil Gaiman. It's about time someone realized how fantastically creepy his work is and made something into a film. Talk about paying it forawrd, thanks to the film launching, they just releaser the Coraline graphic novel and audio book.

I'm doing my part to spread the joy. I am going to this movie in a matter of hours and am stoked. I am so pumped I re-read the book this morning. I'm dying to know if the movie's look matches the book.

No comments: