Saturday, March 7, 2009

Is Ryan Seacrest crossing a line?

They say it's a fine line between love and hate, but it's an even finer line between censorship and non-censorship.

I was driving into work today listening to Top 40 with Ryan Seacrest when the Katie Perry song, "Hot and Cold" came on and I noticed that a line was missing. Normally, when a word is deemed "inappropriate" for whatever reason, radio stations just switch it out for another one. But today, they just skipped an entire line. At first, I thought I wasn't paying attention, but then I noticed the same thing happened to Rihanna and T-I's "Live Your Life". You have to be kidding me, Mr. Seacrest!

I don't know what it is about this that has me so riled up. I know I'm a little biased since fundamentally libraries don't censor. We believe that it is your right to read what you want, and listen to what you want. We rejoice that we live in a nation built on freedom of speech and Right to Read weeks. It's what libraries are all about. But on the other hand...I get it. Somethings should not be shared with everyone all the time. It's not just that I don't want a bunch of 4 year olds hearing dirty words on the radio. That creep factor pops up everywhere. I still get uncomfortable when I'm watching a movie with my dad and two people kiss. The devils advocate in me gets how somethings should not be experienced with your dad. I'm just saying!

Someone told me this week that devils advocates aren't really advocates, they are just people who like to argue. I hate to be that girl, but I think this issue warrants discussion. So here's my question, how far is to far on the censorship scale? Would you rather hear an altered word in a song, or a song that has a whole phrase taken out? Is there really a lesser of two evils?

No comments: