Monday, March 16, 2009

You thought you knew suburbia...

Tales from Outer Suburbia by Shaun Tan

Missiles in every yard, an alien as a foreign exchange student, blind reindeer. Just your every day suburban neighborhood. It's the land of Make-Believe that would give Mr. Rogers a panic attack.
I'm not the biggest sci-fi gal. I'm more of a fantasy fan. But it is the flavor of the month, so I figured, why not, I'll give it a go. I love getting my flavor fix because I always find a treat I didn't expect. This author had me so enraptured by these short stories that as soon as I closed the book I was looking for Tan's earlier stuff. And the art! A-MAZE-ING! I keep going back to the story about the foreign exchange student...it sure would explain some things.

Want to enter Outer Suburbia? Check it out.

No comments: