Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Get Teen Ink-ified

I know I'm only at day 5 of BEDA, but already I'm starting to get a little tapped out. Who knew 30 days of creative writing could be such a challenge? I know I can find something interesting to talk about for a month, but sometimes a girl needs some inspiration. So while trying to help myself out today, I visited one of my favorite websites, Teen Ink. To give you a feel for the vibe this site is offering, read their quote of the day by Jack London: "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club". Nice.

Teen Ink is a magazine where everything is teen made and teen produced. I've seen a few websites where the people who are reviewing books and music are teenagers, like I Heart Daily, but this is one of the few sites that I know of where the things they are reviewing are also created by teenagers. Seriously, everything. Including non-fiction books.
It's about time there was a sight out there that showed what teens are really capable of. What makes Teen Ink even better is that it's not new, they've been around since 1989. Kind of cool that the people who are writing for this magazine today weren't even born when the magazine was launched. It just goes to show that the voice of young people is strong, powerful and continually needs to be heard.
Speaking of being heard, you should read a poem that I found today, "Our Relationship Would Be Easier if You Would Just Play Nice," by Megan B. Gilford. Very powerful. Gilford's voice is fresh and fierce and knocks a lot of modern adult poets out of the water. Think your writing makes Gilford's look like child's play? This website also let's you know what you have to do for them to publish your work.
So if you're looking for a new magazine to follow, check out Teen Ink. You won't be disappointed.

No comments: